nellieknits

Where I ramble and tell complete strangers about my life. It will probably include knitting.

Thursday, January 18, 2007

36 weeks 2 days - getting there

And maybe getting there faster than time would indicate. But I'm getting ahead of myself. To start were I last left off, bub is fine, perfectly average in size. Goodness only knows why I was measuring small but bub isn't, all hunky dory.

The past few days my edema (swelling) has been getting worse, my feet look like balloons, my ankles actually bulge outwards, the moon face look is back and often my hands look pretty plump as well. Today we had another appointment with the OB, not Dr H this time, he's on holidays, but a locum instead.

Given that my pressure has been creeping up again over the past few weeks I was expecting it to be up a bit but 85/140 was still a bit of a surprise. It's a bit funny in a strange way watching a doctor get concerned, but try not to show that anything is wrong. She took my blood pressure 3 times, the first time she didn't pump the cuff up high enough, the second time she didn't seem to believe it, third time was the charm. "Do you think that you could give a urine sample?" Trying to sound innocuous but I don't think I would have gotten out of there with out giving one. The sample showed that my kidneys have managed a trace amount of protein, which has never happened before.

So add together higher blood pressure, trace protein and bad edema and all sorts of alarms start going off. I don't have pre-eclampsia, but I might be headed in that direction. My pressure isn't quite high enough and my kidney's aren't spilling significant quantities of protein but it's enough that I have to go in on Saturday for another CTG (foetal monitoring) and my next OB appointment is on Monday.

The funny thing is, I'm not worried. I'll be at term next week and bub and I are being closely monitored by good doctors and midwives. The hospital is only 10 minutes away and I know what to look out for if any more symptoms develop. If something is going to happen, it's going to happen and all I can do is rest with my feet up and try to take care of us.

And what does one do with your feet up all day in summer? Well I have a book called 200 crotchet blocks and hook and some yarn if that's a hint. I'm not actually trying to make all 200 blocks, only about 48 or so to make an afghan for bub, I've made a few before but I wanted on that was big enough for the whole cot. Thus far I have 35 made so barring things going south in a hurry I should get it finished before bub arrives.

The nursery is almost finished. We have pretty much everything we need, it's just a matter of trying to put it all away. I bought the fabric for the curtains yesterday, but I forgot to buy thread so I can't make them until the weekend.

Oh, and before I forget, my sister threw me a baby shower last Saturday. It was supposed to be somewhat of a surprise but I had figured out most of the details. Even still it was a bit surprising and it was wonderful. It was great to see most0 of my friends together and to realise just how many friends I have. Our friends from our uni day's ended up staying until midnight talking but it was good to catch up with most of them before the bub is born.

I'm going to stop promising photo's. They'll arrive someday.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home