nellieknits

Where I ramble and tell complete strangers about my life. It will probably include knitting.

Monday, December 26, 2005

binge knitting

Merry Christmas to you to, but I'll get to that later, maybe another day. I've figured out how to combine my two topics for this space, knitting and a lack of children.
I would like to confess that I've figured out, I'm a binge knitter. I'll explain. I've been a relatively clucking person since almost before I was married, looking up birthing websites, pricing prams on eBay, deciding exactly what sort of nappies I'd want to make, you get the picture. At first I'd try to resist the impulse, I didn't need to be looking up all of this stuff, I certainly wasn't going to be having a baby in the near future, I had a wedding to plan then uni work to do. After a year of two though the impulse gets really hard to resist and so I found that if I gave into it just a bit, maybe just to wander through the baby isle at Target or knit some bootees, then it wasn't so bad and it would go away. Then at the beginning of the year, we decide to go for it, so for just a couple of months, it looked like I would have a baby in the near future. I could, nay I probably needed to, look up all this information and start accumulating stuff. We bought a cot, decided precisely what sort of pram we wanted, bought knitting and sewing patterns and I even started sewing the odd outfit or two. And the months passed with nothing but packs of Panadine to show for them.
So now the year is almost up, one more cycle to wait out before it's official and my bootee collection is almost embarrassing, I honestly don't know how many I have made. My cluckyness is out of place again, it really doesn't look like we'll be having a baby anytime soon so I binge. I have 50 bootees and some yarn in many colours and I'm working my through duck feet and pixie boots and lacy ones and fuzzy ones. Some I give away, some disapper into the big crate I have that is almost bursting with knitted baby clothes.
Most of what is in the crate will never be worn by a baby, not that I'm depressed that we'll never have one, but because they were for the most part made of what ever I had to hand, not really careing about gauge, size or yarn. It was the act of making them that was their purpose. Maybe for the ray of hope that they would be used (but that sound oh so schmaltzy) or maybe to indulge in doing what I really shouldn't, making baby clothes for one that doesn't exist.

One the lighter side though, binge knitting could be seen to have its uses. It won't make you fat, if anything, it counts as excersise, it uses up stash and gives one a near endless supply of small presents (assuming you're not me and do actually knit something other than bootees, when going on a binge).

Christmas was great, but I'll leave that for another day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home